Friday, October 19, 2018

God Has A Bigger Dream For Your Life


In the Old Testament, there’s a story of a man named Abraham who was asked by God to leave everything he had and travel to a new town. No direction. No explanation. Just the promise that God would make Abraham the father of many nations.

The only desire in Abraham’s heart was to have a child. And the longer he and his wife, Sarah, waited, the more discouraged they became. “We left our home to follow God. Why won’t he give us a child of our own?” “Everyone else is having kids. Why aren’t we?!”

Maybe you can relate.


If it’s not infertility, maybe you can relate to the feeling that Abraham and his wife had. You’ve been following God for a long time and you have big dreams that you want to see come to fruition. But, you feel stagnant. Your career isn’t going anywhere, the ministry you wanted to start won’t gain traction, or you can’t find the resources you need to accomplish your goals. “I’ve been following what I thought was God’s call on my life!” you’re thinking. “Why isn’t He blessing me with what I want?”


Abraham wanted a child, a gift that God would eventually give to him and Sarah. But, God had the biggest dream for Abraham’s life, bigger than anything Abraham could ask or imagine.

He would become the father of many nations. Through his bloodline would come Jesus, the one who made it possible for every man and woman to have a relationship with God. Truly a father of many nations.

The story of Abraham resonates with me because I thought I was going to be a professional tennis player. I spent countless hours, and my mom spent thousands of hours and dollars, toward becoming the best tennis player I could be. It was my dream. Nothing else mattered.

Then I got hurt. And the injury I acquired prevented me from playing tennis at a competitive professional level ever again.

God had bigger dreams for my life, though. He knew that, through my experiences, He would teach me lessons that, in turn, I would share with the world. His dream for my life was to become a missionary of the gospel, preach His word in other countries, and see hundreds of people come to know their savior.

So, if you find yourself like Abraham, or me, today, remember this truth: Hold loosely to your own dreams. If you hold onto them too tightly, it’s going to hurt more when God pries open your hands.

Whatever you think your dream is, God’s dream is a million times better than the plans and desires you have for your own life.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11)


Be encouraged today because God is with you.

Blessings,
Pastor Andrew
My Facebook Page
https://m.facebook.com/Andrewencourages/
1billion.org



No comments: